Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: How do Egyptian men court women?
EgyptMad > Egypt (The Salon) > Egypt Mad
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
tickled_pink
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 13 2005,00:48)
MOST Egyptian men of the 'right' kind are very affectionate and protective of their women..they treat their woman with a lot of  care..like if she was a porcelaine doll..precious precious..and always will have a term of endearment like dear or HABEBTY...
Try this..when he says to you goodnight dear say: Goodnight HABIBI and watch..he he
remmeber to invite me at the engagement reception ..
Is he established? he works and all???

Hahaha!!! What does Habibi mean? :laugh: Hehe sure! I will invite you. He plans to get married 2-3 years from now. ;)

Fil_tarawa
Quote (tickled_pink @ Mar. 13 2005,00:57)
MOST Egyptian men of the 'right' kind are very affectionate and protective of their women..they treat their woman with a lot of  care..like if she was a porcelaine doll..precious precious..and always will have a term of endearment like dear or HABEBTY...
Try this..when he says to you goodnight dear say: Goodnight HABIBI and watch..he he

Hahaha!!! What does Habibi mean? :laugh: Hehe sure! I will invite you. He plans to get married after 2-3 years from now. ;) He is still trying establish himself because just transferred from Egypt. He had a good job and good life there. Sometimes he's so hard on himself to look for a better job and doesnt want to rely on his family. He already got himself an apartment & a car. One time, he asked for my opinion on which car he should buy. I think that was pretty sweet. Most men just buy one and dont ask a woman's opinion. :)

Egyptian Culture 101..if you are dating an Egyptian man..you HAVE to know what HABIBI means...
It means DEAR darling sweetheart..my love..a term of endearment we, Egyptians use a lot.. between friends  and family..it is a hip modern Egyptian thing..I think it always was... howl.gif
tickled_pink
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 13 2005,01:14)
[quote=Fil_tarawa,Mar. 13 2005,00:48]MOST Egyptian men of the 'right' kind are very affectionate and protective of their women..they treat their woman with a lot of  care..like if she was a porcelaine doll..precious precious..and always will have a term of endearment like dear or HABEBTY...

Hahaha!!! What does Habibi mean? :laugh: Hehe sure! I will invite you. He plans to get married after 2-3 years from now. ;) quote]
Egyptian Culture 101..if you are dating an Egyptian man..you HAVE to know what HABIBI means...
It means DEAR darling sweetheart..my love..a term of endearment we, Egyptians use a lot.. between friends  and family..it is a hip modern Egyptian thing..I think it always was... howl.gif

I will let you know his reaction after I say it to him hehe! Thanks for the tip  :pompom:  :laugh:  laughing.gif
SupremeBeing
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 12 2005,18:14)

Hahaha!!! What does Habibi mean? :laugh: Hehe sure! I will invite you. He plans to get married after 2-3 years from now. ;) He is still trying establish himself because just transferred from Egypt. He had a good job and good life there. Sometimes he's so hard on himself to look for a better job and doesnt want to rely on his family. He already got himself an apartment & a car. One time, he asked for my opinion on which car he should buy. I think that was pretty sweet. Most men just buy one and dont ask a woman's opinion. :)

I always say the word Habibty to all of my Egyptian friends and family and even to my egyptian friends' wives...sometime i feel that the word has lost its meaning cause it's overused. When I use the word with the american friends...they love it and they don't stop using it back...they feel like they are getting to know you better when they start using arabic words back...
SupremeBeing
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 12 2005,16:42)
I am an Egyptian woman and honestly I must have been so damn lucky because the  Egyptian men in my circles are to die for..as well as in my family..
A++++..gentlemen, educated..funny..generous..kind..thoughtful..etc..etc...

That's soo nice of you... Thanks ... blush.gif

I consider myself in your virtual circle  Reverend.gif
Fil_tarawa
Quote (SupremeBeing @ Mar. 13 2005,02:32)
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 12 2005,16:42)
I am an Egyptian woman and honestly I must have been so damn lucky because the  Egyptian men in my circles are to die for..as well as in my family..
A++++..gentlemen, educated..funny..generous..kind..thoughtful..etc..etc...

That's soo nice of you... Thanks ... blush.gif

I consider myself in your virtual circle  Reverend.gif

of course you are ya supremo... meya meya..100% my friend..ya virtual enta.. jesterlol.gif
Dalia
..they treat their woman with a lot of  care..like if she was a porcelaine doll..precious precious..and always will have a term of endearment like dear or HABEBTY...

I wouldn't want to be treated like a porcellain doll by anyone.
suspect.gif
Fil_tarawa
Quote (Dalia @ Mar. 13 2005,13:35)
..they treat their woman with a lot of  care..like if she was a porcelaine doll..precious precious..and always will have a term of endearment like dear or HABEBTY...

suspect.gif

I meant treated in a very precious way..some people do not like that..true..and some men do not treat their women like that either ...but I enjoy being treated preciously..with care and thoughtfulness etc..etc..  here is an idea for a new thread..with a poll and all..
How do you like to be treated by your partner ..roughly ...preciously or in between??
MOLL...steal this   if you wish please!!!

howl.gif  thanks.gif  grouphug.gif

Lori
Quote (Dalia @ Mar. 13 2005,12:35)

suspect.gif

Hear hear ...

I made a very narrow escape last month after a very good friend (married woman) introduced me to a cool Egyptian guy. He was handsome, educated, and (initially) well-mannered.

Within a few days he was calling me constantly asking for a meeting, getting impatient of even furious when I was not available during working hours. He became a complete pest. Eventually I went to my friend who introduced us  - and to her friends who emply him - and made a diplomatic but very firm complaint. It took the united forces of these people to get him to stop his harrassment. He said he thought non-Egyptian women like this!

Not everyone is like him, granted, but I think I'll stick to European men for a while to recover emotionally from this ordeal.  walking.gif
SupremeBeing
Quote (Lori @ Mar. 13 2005,07:22)
Quote (Dalia @ Mar. 13 2005,12:35)

suspect.gif

Hear hear ...

I made a very narrow escape last month after a very good friend (married woman) introduced me to a cool Egyptian guy. He was handsome, educated, and (initially) well-mannered.

Within a few days he was calling me constantly asking for a meeting, getting impatient of even furious when I was not available during working hours. He became a complete pest. Eventually I went to my friend who introduced us  - and to her friends who emply him - and made a diplomatic but very firm complaint. It took the united forces of these people to get him to stop his harrassment. He said he thought non-Egyptian women like this!

Not everyone is like him, granted, but I think I'll stick to European men for a while to recover emotionally from this ordeal.  walking.gif

For some reason I thought you're already happily married ??? are you looking for a second?
Lori
Thanks for asking Supreme :D
I am happily widowed (i.e. have recovered from the death of my loved one) and yes, am looking for the right partner.

Need I say this guy was not the right one?  laughing.gif
SupremeBeing
Quote (Lori @ Mar. 13 2005,07:33)
Thanks for asking Supreme :D
I am happily widowed (i.e. have recovered from the death of my loved one) and yes, am looking for the right partner.

Need I say this guy was not the right one?  laughing.gif

I'm sorry for your loss

hug.gif
Lori
Thank you Supreme! It was a big loss - but it may very well be that God has prepared something better for me!

love2.gif

At any rate I intend to make the most of being alive  hug.gif
Dalia
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 13 2005,14:10)
I meant treated in a very precious way..some people do not like that..true..and some men do not treat their women like that either ...but I enjoy being treated preciously..with care and thoughtfulness etc..etc..

Everyone wants to be treated with care and thoughtfulness, isn't that normal?

I wasn't saying I prefer men who treat women rudely or anything to that extent, but the expression "like a porcellain doll" conjures up very weird images in my head. Reminds me of Europe about a decade ago; it sounds as if women are something fragile, need to be protected, patronized etc., and I don't like that image at all.

It's great if a guy is polite and courteous (and I agree many Egyptian men are), I really appreciate that, but only up to a certain point ...
Fil_tarawa
Quote (Dalia @ Mar. 14 2005,11:52)
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 13 2005,14:10)
I meant treated in a very precious way..some people do not like that..true..and some men do not treat their women like that either ...but I enjoy being treated preciously..with care and thoughtfulness etc..etc..

Everyone wants to be treated with care and thoughtfulness, isn't that normal?

I wasn't saying I prefer men who treat women rudely or anything to that extent, but the expression "like a porcellain doll" conjures up very weird images in my head. Reminds me of Europe about a decade ago; it sounds as if women are something fragile, need to be protected, patronized etc., and I don't like that image at all.

It's great if a guy is polite and courteous (and I agree many Egyptian men are), I really appreciate that, but only up to a certain point ...

Got you..... I meant with care not the patronizing and fragile  way..I guess my expression was a bit exxagerated ..I am Egyptian after all and sometimes we tend to go over the top he he.. howl.gif  peace_smiley.gif
The Shrink
tickled_pink: with the risk of sounding nosy, can i ask if you two smootched  love2.gif yet?

tickled_pink
Quote (The Shrink @ Mar. 14 2005,18:22)
tickled_pink: with the risk of sounding nosy, can i ask if you two smootched  love2.gif yet?

hey the shrink! not yet.  Reverend.gif  he's very shy.  love2.gif  any tips? hehe
The Shrink
After a nice dinner or preferably some desert with coffee/tea, followed by a walk in a romantic atmosphere (I guess you’ll have to arrange the whole thing, but pretend that it was not arranged), you could just interrupt your walk, standing for a moment, then look right into his eyes, if he does not Kiss you, love2.gif  then you kiss him, but be brief in the first kiss, and pay attention to what he says afterwards, he should say some very sweet things. I could only imagine what he would say.

The Shrink
BTW: is this your Pic?

you look so sweet, Egy man is a very lucky man. walking.gif

tickled_pink
Quote (The Shrink @ Mar. 14 2005,21:26)
BTW: is this your Pic?

you look so sweet, Egy man is a very lucky man. walking.gif

Nope, that's not me. :) I just saw it in one of the choices under avatars.  I think I would keep my identity a secret as of  now hehe walking.gif Thanks for the nice advice anyways. :)

Saffron
In my anthropology course we are learning about polygamy. Do many Arabs really practice polygyny? I have a friend in Saudi and he says it is the same as cheating on your wife. Is this true, as the media portrays Arab men an womanizers and as having a harem and as many wives as they can afford. I am curious. Please reply if you know of this.
tickled_pink
Quote (Saffron @ Mar. 15 2005,05:32)
In my anthropology course we are learning about polygamy. Do many Arabs really practice polygyny? I have a friend in Saudi and he says it is the same as cheating on your wife. Is this true, as the media portrays Arab men an womanizers and as having a harem and as many wives as they can afford. I am curious. Please reply if you know of this.

A friend of mine told me that they can only re-marry under certain circumstances...like if the woman is barren. But they don't encourage it. grey.gif
Saffron
So do they take another wife? That is what I have read. But it is if the man can afford wives. Do you know anyone in Saudi or Egypt? or any Arabs here?
SupremeBeing
tickled_pink
I only know very few Egyptian men. Only aquaintances. Like I said they practice that only under special circumstances. But my friend said that he would only like to marry one wife. :)
SupremeBeing
Film star Soad Hosni died on thursday, june 28th 2001 at the age of 57 after falling from the 6th floor of a London building. She was born on January 26 th 1942. Soad was one of Egypt's best-loved actresses of the 1960s and '70s. "She was the symbol of the golden age of Egyptian cinema" said Egyptian actress. Hosni, who starred in 75 Egyptian films through a career spanning from 1959 to 1991, lived in London for the last six years and underwent a treatment for a back problem. She was courted by Egypt's leading men, and married four of them. She first married film cameraman Salah Karim in the 1960s.
Poky
SOme egyptian men court their female counterparts with the world famous SHIB SHIB!!!  angel.gif
kimo_the_maniac
Quote (Poky @ Mar. 15 2005,07:05)
SOme egyptian men court their female counterparts with the world famous SHIB SHIB!!!  angel.gif

Abu warda  :;):

Abu warda = code word for shibshib
Fil_tarawa
Quote (SupremeBeing @ Mar. 15 2005,06:14)
Film star Soad Hosni died on thursday, june 28th 2001 at the age of 57 after falling from the 6th floor of a London building. She was born on January 26 th 1942. Soad was one of Egypt's best-loved actresses of the 1960s and '70s. "She was the symbol of the golden age of Egyptian cinema" said Egyptian actress. Hosni, who starred in 75 Egyptian films through a career spanning from 1959 to 1991, lived in London for the last six years and underwent a treatment for a back problem. She was courted by Egypt's leading men, and married four of them. She first married film cameraman Salah Karim in the 1960s.

PLUS the picture of my AVATAR::. he he..( Soad Hosni)
And Poky has POUSSY the Egyptian actress married to Nour Al Sharif...
Dee
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 15 2005,08:14)

I found SB's pix and post very interesting, but was a bit confused about how they ended up in this thread.  Eyecrazy.gif
Why don't one of you start a thread all about Egyptian film stars?  :)
Fil_tarawa
Quote (Dee @ Mar. 15 2005,08:46)
Quote (Fil_tarawa @ Mar. 15 2005,08:14)

I found SB's pix and post very interesting, but was a bit confused about how they ended up in this thread.  Eyecrazy.gif
Why don't one of you start a thread all about Egyptian film stars?  :)

hehe..Dee..because  a new member TP added an avatar and guess who is in the pic..Soad Hosni same as my avatar..someone asked her if it was HER pic..obviously not knowing it was THE Egyptian actress..Supremo provided the info..
peace_smiley.gif
Dalia
Quote (Saffron @ Mar. 15 2005,05:39)
So do they take another wife? That is what I have read. But it is if the man can afford wives. Do you know anyone in Saudi or Egypt? or any Arabs here?

Do you know anything about Saudi or Egypt? And where did you read that "they" take another wife.

Maybe it would be better do do a bit of research and then come back with your questions.
???

Mad Dilys
I think we are the research Dalia! :naughty
Saffron, check the old topics in Egypt Mad.
Not so long ago there was such a thread on polygamy, quite long, in fact.  Have a look. boots.gif
Saffron
What I meant by "they" are the Arab men in Saudi or Egypt. The media here portrays them as being womanizers and taking as many wives as "they" can afford. That does happen, I am quite sure. But "they" have to be wealthy enough to afford it. Also, men in Africa do that, since the Arab and the African cultures are patriarchical and male-dominated. I am very happy that I am an American woman, as I find those practices appalling and a turn-off to say the least. In another words, I don't like to share, especially my man.
kimo_the_maniac
Quote (Saffron @ Mar. 15 2005,20:24)
What I meant by "they" are the Arab men in Saudi or Egypt. The media here portrays them as being womanizers and taking as many wives as "they" can afford. That does happen, I am quite sure. But "they" have to be wealthy enough to afford it. Also, men in Africa do that, since the Arab and the African cultures are patriarchical and male-dominated. I am very happy that I am an American woman, as I find those practices appalling and a turn-off to say the least. In another words, I don't like to share, especially my man.

I am very glad you are American too.
The Shrink
I am very happy that I am an American woman, as I find those practices appalling and a turn-off to say the least. In another words, I don't like to share, especially my man.

Needless to say why, You should be equally happy that you were not born and raised in Utah  Reverend.gif
Fil_tarawa

Hi again American woman..as an Egyptian woman i can tell you that there are no men in my family or in my circle of friends that have more than a wife..not sure if they have more than a woman though.. the West would call it affairs... howl.gif
So it is finally a matter of luck I guess..or maybe if you meet the man wether Egyptian, Arab, French or American that has a sense of loyalty that is a one woman man, and that mostly loves you sincerely...

Was wondering about womanizers here..was Clinton an arab in another life maybe howl.gif
The Shrink

Thanks for the info. and the Pics SB.

She is sooooooooooooooo pretty

Dalia
What I meant by "they" are the Arab men in Saudi or Egypt. The media here portrays them as being womanizers and taking as many wives as "they" can afford.

scratching.gif  scratching.gif  scratching.gif

charl
What I meant by "they" are the Arab men in Saudi or Egypt. The media here portrays them as being womanizers and taking as many wives as "they" can afford. That does happen, I am quite sure.

So on the one hand, she recognises that stereotypes are created by the media.....yet she applies them universally, and doesn't stop to challenge them, or to see what is behind the semantics..... the girl is wavering - let's hope she sticks around and learns something positive jumping.gif
kimo_the_maniac
Quote (Dalia @ Mar. 15 2005,21:28)
What I meant by "they" are the Arab men in Saudi or Egypt. The media here portrays them as being womanizers and taking as many wives as "they" can afford.

scratching.gif  scratching.gif  scratching.gif

Yeah, sometimes words aren't effective. I tried to write a response but failed too!

But one thing that the American media seems to be doing these days is that it portrays Egypt and Saudi Arabia as very similar countries which this lady seems to believe. Anyone who's been to the two countries knows very well that they are worlds apart.

mmm, wonder why she picked out Saudi Arabia and Egypt in particular, how about other Islamic countries?

Never mind I'm too tired to get my thoughts straight now.
Dalia
Quote (kimo_the_maniac @ Mar. 15 2005,22:27)
But one thing that the American media seems to be doing these days is that it portrays Egypt and Saudi Arabia as very similar countries which this lady seems to believe. Anyone who's been to the two countries knows very well that they are worlds apart.

Even if you haven't been to these countries and just know the basic facts about them you should know that.
???
Saffron

Okay then tell me how they are worlds apart. I am willing to learn. REally, I have never been there.

I have only known or talked to Egyptians personally. Men that is. So how are the two countries different. What I have noticed is that the entire Middle East is pretty much closed off from others such as Americans. It is pretty much a closed society. One that we Americans are really not allowed or welcome in. That is my educated guess. And from the way I was treated when I called the Egyptian Embassy today, I was pretty much correct.

Saffron
In regards to the post about my having to live in UTah. Yes I am glad that I was not born there, or that I don't live there. And if I had been born there, I may have moved from there. I assume you are writing about the polygyny there

And in reply to the other posts, yes I wll stick around. I am only trying to learn. And I am not trying to stereotype anyone.

Where do you all live? I live in USA. Is this only for Egyptians?

P.S. I am trying to write and read these without my glasses on. sorry for the mispelled words.

The Shrink
Quote (Saffron @ Mar. 16 2005,02:55)
yes I wll stick around. I am only trying to learn. And I am not trying to stereotype anyone.

well, if this is the case, then welcome to EM then notworthy.gif  :cheers

I'm sure you'll find your Egypt learning excursion rewarding as many of us did and still do .....welcome again  hug.gif
Dee
Quote (Saffron @ Mar. 16 2005,02:47)

Okay then tell me how they are worlds apart. I am willing to learn. REally, I have never been there.

I have only known or talked to Egyptians personally. Men that is. So how are the two countries different. What I have noticed is that the entire Middle East is pretty much closed off from others such as Americans. It is pretty much a closed society. One that we Americans are really not allowed or welcome in. That is my educated guess. And from the way I was treated when I called the Egyptian Embassy today, I was pretty much correct.

Hi Saffron,
I am also an American.  I have been to Egypt.
Evidentally your educated guess needs more education.  laughing.gif
Americans are both allowed and (usually warmly) welcomed in Egypt. I did not find it a closed society at all, and made friends there whom I am still in touch with.  
I am hoping to return again this year.
Egypt is a wonderful place full of all kinds of wonderful people who made me feel very much at home there.
As I have said before, the first time I visited Egypt it was because of the history, art and antiquities.
The next time it was  because of the wonderful Egyptian people!
grouphug.gif  :thumb

I've never been to Saudi Arabia, have you?  ???

Anyhow Saffron, as others said before: stick around, you might learn something, :;): and...
SupremeBeing
Quote (Dee @ Mar. 15 2005,22:41)

I have...I spent there about 11 years

They have to shoot me before I go there again

Egypt and Saudi Arabia is two different worlds...
Dee
Quote (SupremeBeing @ Mar. 16 2005,05:45)
Quote (Dee @ Mar. 15 2005,22:41)

I have...I spent there about 11 years

They have to shoot me before I go there again

Egypt and Saudi Arabia is two different worlds...

That bad, huh?  :p
Why don't you elaborate a little on the differences between living in Saudi and living in Egypt?  :)
kimo_the_maniac
You know what Saffron, yeah everything you see on FOX news is fair and balanced. Forget it, don't visit Egypt, it has its share of problems. We have lots of very nice Americans living in and visiting the country and they leave a wonderfull impression on Egyptians, let's keep it this way. I can imagine you standing in Tahrir square telling university students how glad you are you were born in America because all Arabs put their women in cages or something.

People who want to learn something usually have a certain attitude, they ask questions. They wonder, they inquire. They don't make statements and pass educated guesses based on how they called a consulate to ask for an escort service.
Dalia
Quote (Saffron @ Mar. 16 2005,02:47)

CIA World Factbook - Saudi Arabia

Women in the Middle East

Saudi Arabia - Gross Human Rights Abuses Against Women

Saudi Arabia - Women say Religious Traditions Block their Rights

What I have noticed is that the entire Middle East is pretty much closed off from others such as Americans. It is pretty much a closed society. One that we Americans are really not allowed or welcome in. That is my educated guess.

Egypt is not a closed society and foreigners are not only allowed in but mostly welcome. There are lots of foreigners living in Egypt (I happen to be one of them) and many many tourists visit it each year.
The Middle East consists of many countries that - although they do have things in common - are quite diverse, so you can't make a generalized statement lumping them all together under a label.
???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.